Santa Rosa Junior College logo  
home  > for students  > student services  > articulation  > frequently asked
frequently asked

Articulation Office Home Frequently Asked Questions ASSIST - Statewide Student Transfer
Information for California
Articulation Agreements
- California Community Colleges
- Independent California Colleges and Universities
- Out-of-State Institutions
General Education Requirements Guides for Transfer in Specific Majors SRJC Credit for Advanced Placement Exams (PDF: 281 KB) SRJC Credit for International Baccalaureate Exams (PDF: 44 KB) UC Limitations of Transfer Credit (PDF: 24 KB) C-ID Qualified Courses (PDF: 175 KB) Course Outlines for SRJC

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Articulation?

Articulation is the process of evaluating courses to determine whether a particular course offered at Santa Rosa Junior College is comparable to, or acceptable in lieu of, a corresponding course at a particular accredited college or university.

What do you mean, Articulation Agreement?

Each university system has its own program requirements. These requirements vary with the student's intended major. An articulation agreement is an agreement with a four-year institution that specifies which SRJC classes may be transferred to meet general education, elective, or major requirements.

The purpose of articulation is to facilitate the successful transfer of students from the community colleges to the baccalaureate colleges and universities.

What are the Types of Articulation Agreements?

Course-to-Course Agreements
The purpose of a Course-to-Course agreement is to determine if a specific course taken at one college will satisfy a requirement at another college.

General Education
The University of California and California State University General Education Breadth agreements indicate those courses that a student can complete at SRJC to satisfy the general education requirements at the transfer campus.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
is a general education program, which community college students can use to satisfy lower-division general education requirements at any CSU or UC campus. (Please note that on UC campuses, IGETC is not recommended for some majors. Please talk to your counselor about your major and target UC campuses.)

The CSU General Education-Breadth agreement describes courses that students may take to fulfill the lower division GE requirements for the CSU campuses.

Major Preparation
The Major Preparation agreements specify courses that meet the lower division major requirements for a four-year college or university. Counselors can help students find additional information about major preparation not covered in the agreements.

Transferable Course Agreements
University of California Office of the President Transfer Course Agreement is a listing of courses accepted by the University of California.

Transfer Admissions Agreements (T.A.A.)
TAA is a formal, written agreement that guarantees transfer admission to students who meet certain requirements for course completion and grade point average.

How can I learn more about Articulation Agreements?
SRJC maintains written articulation or course agreements with many transfer colleges and universities. These agreements are approved by the faculty and specify how courses will be accepted at the transfer institution. Students who wish to transfer need to become familiar with the articulation agreements.

A student working closely with a counselor should be able to complete the lower division, or first two years, of a bachelor degree program at SRJC and transfer at the junior level. If any student experiences difficulty with the transfer of courses from Santa Rosa Junior College, he/she should call the Transfer Center for assistance at (707) 527-4874.

SRJC has established articulation with four-year colleges and universities in general education and in specific majors. Counselors, the Articulation Specialist, or the Transfer Center can provide articulation agreement information.

ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) is the official repository of transfer information for California's public college and universities. ASSIST maintains current articulation agreements that identify which courses can be applied for credit when a student transfers from a California Community College to a CSU or UC campus. The ASSIST web site offers easy access to a single database.

Questions and comments about this page contact Kate Hickman,

Santa Rosa Junior College is officially accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges