|Building on a Legacy of Excellence|
|Apply & Register|||||Schedules & Catalog|||||Instruction|||||For Students|||||Faculty & Staff|||||Administration|||||About SRJC|
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the minimum requirements to become a firefighter?
To obtain employment as a paid firefighter in the State of California, possession of a Firefighter I certificate and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Card (issued by the State Board of Fire Services and the State Emergency Medical Services Authority respectively) generally represent the minimum entry level requirements.
How do I obtain my Firefighter I Certificate?
To obtain a Firefighter I Certificate in California, you must complete one of the two options explained below:
1. Successfully complete a Firefighter I (FFI) academy conducted by a Community College that is approved as an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) by
the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
2. Successfully complete the FFI certification testing process conducted by an ARTP (most FFI academies, including Santa Rosa JC, include this testing as part of the course).
3. Complete one year of “Occupational Experience” as a volunteer firefighter (or six months as a paid firefighter) AND complete the Firefighter I Certification Task Book (signed by your Fire Chief or designated rep). The original Task Book must be submitted with an application and applicable fee to State Fire Training.
1. Successfully complete a Firefighter I training program through a recognized fire
agency in California.
2. Successfully complete the FFI certification testing process conducted by an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP). Please note that not all ARTPs will offer this testing process as a stand-alone course and you may need to travel to another part of the state to find an ARTP that opens the testing to non-fire academy students.
3. Complete one year of “Occupational Experience” as a volunteer firefighter (or six months as a paid firefighter) AND complete the Firefighter I Certification Task Book (signed by your Fire Chief or designated rep.). The original Task Book must be submitted with an application and applicable fee to State Fire Training.
How do I enroll in the SRJC Firefighter I Academy (Fire 208.1)?
After successful completion of the prerequisites (Fire 71, Fire 208, and EMC 100 or 103), you may submit an application to the Public Safety Training Center. Application deadlines are June 1st for the Fall Academy and October 1st for the Spring Academy. Applications can be downloaded using this link. Students must be at least 18 years of age to enroll in the academy.
When are the prerequisites offered?
All prerequisites are offered every semester (Spring, Summer, and Fall) with the exception of EMC 103 (EMT) which is not offered in the Summer. Students should refer to the Schedule of Classes for specific class dates and times. Please note that because some of the prerequisite courses may still be in session at the application deadline (especially in the Fall), it may be necessary to complete the course in the semester prior to the application deadline.
Is there someone I may contact if I have other questions?
For additional questions, please contact the Department’s Administrative Assistant, Rachel Smith, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (707) 836-2906.