A prerequisite is a course or a list of skills you
must have in order to enroll in a class. For instance, you must have passed French
1 with a "C" or better to enroll in French 2. In some cases, a placement
on an assessment test would also be a prerequisite to a course. For instance, the
prerequisite for Math 155 is the completion of Math 150B, Math 151, OR placement
by taking the appropriate math placement test.
A recommendation is different from a prerequisite in
that it is advisory in nature. You will not be blocked from registering for the class
if you have not taken the recommended course. It is a good idea to take the advisories
seriously, as they are a good indication of the skill level and/or knowledge needed
to do well in the class.
Ways to satisfy prerequisites:
- Register for the prerequisite course. If you have questions about the appropriateness
of the course for you, consult with a counselor.
- If you took the prerequisite at another school or college or at SRJC prior to
1981, you must file a Prerequisite
Equivalency/Challenge Form with Admissions and Records. You can deliver
it in person, mail it or fax it (707) 527-4798. You must have completed the prerequisite
course with a "C" grade or better, a "CR", or a "P".
- If you believe you have the skills required to succeed in a course but haven't
taken the prerequisite, you can challenge the prerequisite. For example, if you have
been living in France and believe you have the skills to be successful in French
2, you can challenge the prerequisite of French 1. Submit the Prerequisite
Equivalency/Challenge Form in person, by mail, or by fax (707) 527-4798.
If your challenge is denied, you will be notified in writing.
- AP scores & EAP scores will require a Prerequisite/Challenge Form to be to
be submitted to Admissions & Records.
Important facts about prerequisites:
- Prerequisites are indicated in the Schedule
of Classes immediately following the course title. You must have satisfied the prerequisite
in some manner in order to register in the course.
- The Prerequisite Equivalency/Challenge Form is available at
Admissions and Records at the Santa Rosa Campus, Petaluma Campus, or from Admissions
and Records Web site.
- After submitting the form to Admissions and Records, you can
check your student portal under “Prerequisite Check” to make sure that
the prerequisite has been satisfied. Challenges will be sent to the appropriate department
where they will be reviewed.
- If you need help, call Admissions and Records at (707) 527-4685
(Santa Rosa Campus) or (707) 778-3911 (Petaluma Campus). A counselor can also help
you with your questions about prerequisites.