> Library Instruction
> Library Skills Program Exercises
Library Skills Program Exercises
This program will help you become familiar with the SRJC Libraries and will introduce you to basic library research tools. Each self-paced exercise takes about 20 minutes. You may do as many exercises as you wish, as often as you wish. To access the exercises, click the links below to print a copy.
Doyle Library also offers an audio tour that will introduce you to the physical layout of the building, hours, services, and borrowing policies. To access the Doyle Library iPod tour, take your photo student ID card to the Periodicals Desk on the second floor in Doyle Library.
- The LIBRARY CATALOG (SMART SEARCH) exercise will help you learn to use the online catalog to find a book. The catalog can be searched from anywhere you have access to the Internet, whether on or off campus.
- Search for information with FINDING ARTICLES USING SMART SEARCH to help you locate magazine and journal articles on particular topics.
- The ENCYCLOPEDIAS exercise will help you learn to use specialized encyclopedias, locate print reference titles after using Smart Search, and find articles from online books by using Gale Virtual Reference Center.
These interactive tutorials guide a student through the features of library tools. Instructors, are you interested in assigning extra credit? Many tutorials end with a quiz that students can e-mail to you.
- EXPLORE SMART SEARCH This tutorial introduces students to database searching through an all-in-one discovery service. This tutorial will take around 10 minutes.
- EXPLORE EBSCO E-BOOKS Students learn how to find and use e-books in Smart Search. This tutorial will take around 10 minutes.
- EXPLORE SAGE KNOWLEDGE Students learn how to find background information from authoritative, specialized subject encyclopedias.
This tutorial will take around 10 minutes.
- EXPLORE NOODLEBIB This tutorial shows students how to create a NoodleBib account, cite print books, e-books, and online articles, and print a bibliography. This tutorial will take around 30-45 minutes.