Faculty Employment Opportunities
PRIORITY FILING DEADLINE
Monday, March 3, 2014
(initial screening date - open until filled)
Deadline extended to Monday, April 7, 2014
Santa Rosa Junior College is seeking an individual with demonstrated instructional and clinical skills to join an outstanding team of faculty, staff and instructional administrators to provide high quality services to our district, our community, and most importantly to our students. This is a full-time regular contract faculty position in the Public Safety Department, beginning Fall 2014. The assignment will be at the Petaluma Campus, and occasionally the Public Safety Training Center. Appointment is contingent upon funding and Board approval.
PROGRAM AND DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION
The Fire Technology Program is part of the Department of Public Safety at Santa Rosa Junior College. The Program is accredited by the Office of The State Fire Marshal and The State Board of Fire Services as a Regional Fire Academy. Fire Technology courses serve transfer students, certificate students, associate degree students and in-service students. The Fire Technology Program offers day and evening classes at the Public Safety Training Center in Windsor, Petaluma Campus, Santa Rosa Campus and off-campus sites. The selected candidate will join one of the largest and most respected Public Safety programs in the State.
This position will be responsible for instruction in pre-service as well as the Firefighter I Academy and the Fire Technology in-service program in the Public Safety Department. The areas of concentration for Fire Technology are in Fire Protection Organization, Fire Behavior and Combustion, Fire Prevention Technology, Fire Protection Equipment and Systems, Hazardous Materials for Public Safety, Building Construction for Fire Protection, and Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival. The Firefighter I Academy and in-service instructional areas focus on the manipulative and technical skills for fire suppression activities; fire prevention and public education; ethics and diversity training; rescue; and hazmat. Selective topics to be taught include Officer and Chief Officer certification.
Responsibilities included but are not limited to:
- Ability, interest and willingness to develop and maintain working relationships with local high schools, community colleges and state universities;
- Attendance at college Professional Development Day (PDA) and associated career development activities;
- Ability to work with students who have a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals.
SRJC offers courses at two campuses, located in Santa Rosa and Petaluma, as well as multiple satellite locations within the district, including on-line. While your primary assignment will be at the Petaluma Campus, please note the district reserves the right of assignment to any location, and that assignments could involve any combination of day or evening classes with weekly office hours being mandatory. Instructors assume responsibility for maintaining currency in the field and for updating existing courses and developing new curricula (including courses that serve community needs, such as short-term, non-credit, or on-line courses); assisting in the assessment of student learning outcomes; managing laboratories and participating in community outreach on behalf of the College.
Required: Bachelor's degree AND two years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) related experience; OR an Associate's degree AND six years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) related experience; AND completion of the CFSTES courses Instructor 1A, 1B and 1C training course (offered through the State Fire Marshal's Office) or State Fire Marshal Instructor 1 Certificate; OR the equivalent; OR a fully satisfied (Life) California Community College Instructor's Credential in Fire Science. Requires a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
If you do not possess the minimum qualifications exactly as stated above, you must file for equivalency. If claiming equivalency, applicants are responsible for documenting all course work, degree programs and related professional experience at time of application.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field.
- Demonstrated evidence of innovative classroom teaching.
- Prior college-level teaching experience in Fire Technology.Certification as a Master Instructor in the California Fire Services Training and Education System.
- Ability to demonstrate manipulative skills, including lifting (up to 50 lbs.), carrying and climbing activities.
In order to be given priority consideration for this position, applicants must submit AN ORIGINAL PLUS ONE COPY OF EACH of the following documents by the priority filing deadline:
PLEASE SUBMIT ONLY MATERIALS REQUESTED.
- A completed Santa Rosa Junior College Faculty Application Form, Personal Data Form and Applicant Notification Form. Voluntary Data Form is optional.
- If applicable, completed Equivalency Form and supporting documents.
- A statement describing your demonstrated experience in understanding and being sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position, including how you meet the requirements and are qualified to perform the duties as listed in the Position Description section of this announcement.
- Current Resume.
- Copies of transcripts of all college level course work (unofficial copies acceptable (both sides), but official transcripts must be submitted prior to hiring). If transcripts are from an institution outside of the United States, applicants must provide a formal evaluation of their foreign degree(s) at the time of application. Contact the Human Resources Department for more information.
- Proof of completion of Instructor 1A, 1B and 1C training courses and/or State Fire Marshal Instructor Certificate.
- If applicable, copy of fully satisfied (Life) California Community College Instructors Credential in Fire Science or Fire Technology.
(In loose-leaf form - no folders or binding please.)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$57,389 - $80,918 per year (2013/14 Faculty Salary Schedule). Teaching experience, other related professional experience, and academic degrees determine salary placement on a schedule that is competitive with other California Community Colleges.Benefits: The District offers a competitive health and benefit package for employees and eligible dependents.
Leave/Holiday time: Full-time faculty members earn one day of sick leave for each month worked.
Housing: A mortgage loan at reduced fees may be available to the candidate selected for this position (contact Human Resources for more information).
MORE ABOUT SRJC
Application Materials & Procedures
To download job announcements and application materials, please go to http://www.santarosa.edu/hr/job-openings/job-openings.php or contact us to be mailed the materials to apply :
Human Resources Department
Santa Rosa Junior College
PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 1988 Armory Drive
MAILING ADDRESS: 1501 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
PHONE (707) 527-4954
FAX (707) 527-4967
The office is located in the Button Building on the college campus and is
open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
All documents included in your application file become the property of
the college and will not be returned. Your file for this opening
will not be considered for future openings. New documents must be
submitted for each opening.
is the candidate's responsibility to be sure that ALL required
materials are in the Human Resources Department by 5:00 p.m. on
the priority filing deadline to be given priority consideration.
Applications received after the priority filing deadline will be
considered only if the initial priority screening is unsuccessful.
Following the priority filing deadline, applications which are complete for screening will be forwarded to a screening committee for review. Approximately 15 to 20 days later, we will notify you whether or not you have been chosen for interview. Those
applicants most suitably qualified for the position will be invited
to appear for oral interviews before a Screening Committee. The
Screening Committee may include representatives from the Faculty, the
Administration, the Classified Staff, the Student Body, and the Board
Santa Rosa Junior College does not reimburse candidates for expenses
related to the first interview, candidates traveling from out
of the area for administrative or full-time faculty positions who are selected as finalists will be offered a travel
stipend for their administrative interview(s).
you are in need of special services or facilities due to a disability
in order to apply or interview for this opening, please call the
Human Resources Department.
OF EMPLOYMENT (Prior to beginning employment):
- In accordance with Federal Law all employees must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Must be fingerprinted and have background clearance (at applicant's expense); and
- Must take a TB test (once hired and every four years thereafter).
The Jeanne Clery Annual Security Report, which includes personal safety and crime prevention information, related District policies, and District crime statistics, is available at www.santarosa.edu/police or paper copies are available upon request from the District Police Department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SRJC attracts and retains the most qualified faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. This is achieved through an inclusive recruitment strategy and a rigorous, thorough hiring process that begins with the fair and consistent evaluation of each application for minimum qualifications and demonstrated skills specific to each position. Because the ability to serve students from broad cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds and genders is a key commitment of the College mission, SRJC actively encourages applications from candidates who recognize the value that diversity brings to a professional educational community.