Support type: E-mail: E-mail Clients
Last updated: Apr 16, 2012
Topic ID: 95
Generic User (guser) accounts are used in various ways at SRJC. Whether it is checking on a student staff account or a shared mailbox, opening a guser account is simple using Outlook Web Access (OWA) when logged into your main SRJC Outlook account.
Intended Audience: IT designated contacts of specific guser accounts are able to use the feature detailed in this tutorial.
SRJC Outlook Web Access provides the user with two different interfaces. The OWA Premium interface, which closely resembles the actual Microsoft Office Outlook experience, only works with the Internet Explorer web browser. The OWA Light interface is provided when using any web browser other than Internet Explorer, or the main SRJC Outlook account uses the “blind and low vision experience” option designated in OWA.
Using OWA Premium
- Login to your main SRJC Outlook account using https://securemail.santarosa.edu/owa with an Internet Explorer browser window.
- Click on your name in the top right corner of the horizontal navigation bar.
- In the Select mailbox field, type in the guser account name and click Open…
- Another Internet Explorer browser window will open for the guser account. Note that this new browser window displays the guser account name in the horizontal navigation bar and also the mailbox name.
- The easiest method is switching between browser windows, selecting one window or the other of the two open accounts.
- Open a mailbox to your main SRJC account from the guser account using the same procedure as in number 3 above. (Note: You will now have two browser windows open for the main SJRC mailbox and one browser window for the guser account.)
Using OWA Light
- This procedure also applies to users of OWA Premium if the main account uses the “blind and low vision experience” accessibility setting.
- Login to your main SRJC Outlook account using https://securemail.santarosa.edu/owa using OWA Light by checking the “Use Outlook Web Access Light.”
- Once logged in proceed to the next step.
- To open the guser account, append the guser account e-mail address to the end of the URL in the browser window and press Enter. (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- To switch back to your main account, remove the guser office account e-mail address from the URL in the browser window. The URL should look like Step 1a.
- Note: Access to the guser account will only be available when logged in to your main account. Also, only one browser window will be open, which is different than OWA Premium. When you logout of either account, you will be logged out of both.