Support type: E-mail: How to Archive Mail to Reduce Size
Last updated: Mar 30, 2012
Topic ID: 81
Follow the instructions below to set up archiving of E-mail messages to reduce mailbox size.
NOTE: The following methods will set up a location to store messages outside of your server mailbox storage. Because of this, you should be aware of the following limitations:
- This method cannot be set up with Outlook Web Access. You will need a native E-mail client running on a SRJC owned computer. IT's currently support native clients are all listed below.
- These archived E-mail messages will NOT be available through Outlook Web Access.
- These archived E-mail messages will only be available to your primary computer you log into unless you go through advanced setup. Advanced setup is not available on this web site.
Macintosh users have a similar ability to archive messages to reduce server mailbox size. However, unlike the Windows Outlook Personal Folder File, the Macintosh archive has one major downside - it cannot be stored on the server home directory. Therefore it is imperative that users who want this functionality and who want to keep their archived messages safe, should your computer become compromised, damaged, or stolen, that they backup the locally stored copy of their messages. This guide will show where that location is and recommend backup solutions, but will not talk about the backup process in detail.
- The local location of these folders are at /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data.
- If you use Time Machine, this location is backed up by default.
- Otherwise, if you want to backup these folders manually, be sure to close Entourage before copying that folder to an external source such as a USB flash drive or USB hard drive. Your server home directory (blue folder on the dock with your username) can be used, but the process must be a manual process.
- The archive location is created automatically and is called "Folders on my Computer." It is located in the left folder list, typically below your server mailbox. You may drag, copy, or move mail messages and folders from your server mailbox to these Folders on my Computer. Anything inside these folders will not contribute to your server mailbox size.