Support type: E-mail: How to Archive Mail to Reduce Size
Last updated: Mar 30, 2012
Topic ID: 79
Follow the instructions below to set up archiving of E-mail messages to reduce mailbox size.
NOTE: The following methods will set up a location to store messages outside of your server mailbox storage. Because of this, you should be aware of the following limitations:
- This method cannot be set up with Outlook Web Access. You will need a native E-mail client running on a SRJC owned computer. IT's currently support native clients are all listed below.
- These archived E-mail messages will NOT be available through Outlook Web Access.
- These archived E-mail messages will only be available to your primary computer you log into unless you go through advanced setup. Advanced setup is not available on this web site.
- With Outlook open, click the "File" menu, then "New...," and then "Outlook Data File..."
- Choose "Office Outlook Personal Folders File" and then click "OK."
- A "Create or Open Outlook Data File" dialog box will open. Choose a place to store the Personal Folder File (PST). IT highly recommends SRJC users store their Personal Folder File (PST) on their X drive (server home directory). If you do not have one, contact the Help Desk and we can create one for you. You may also choose to store your PST on your local computer. If you do store it locally, you will be responsible for backing up this file should your computer become compromised, damaged, or stolen. In this example, we are saving the PST file to the X drive. Click "OK."
- Confirm the name of "Personal Folders" and then click "OK."
- Your Personal Folders will show up on the left folder list, typically below your server mailbox. You may drag, copy, or move mail messages and folders from your server mailbox to these Personal Folders. Anything inside the Personal Folders will not contribute to your server mailbox size.