|Apply & Register|||||Schedules & Catalog|||||Instruction|||||For Students|||||Faculty & Staff|||||Administration|||||About SRJC|
While the nation reeled from the stock market crash and the effects of the Great Depression, SRJC was coming into its own as an independent institution during the 1930s. The two major tasks for the District were the selection of a governing board and identifying a permanent site for the campus. The first Board of Trustees for the College was appointed Santa Rosa and Sebastopol chambers of commerce in 1930, and included C.J. Tauzer, George Bech, Al Garcia, William Shuhaw, and Sheridan Baker.
This first Board of Trustees was convinced that a 40-acre site just north of Santa Rosa High School would be ideal for the campus. A favorite spot of Luther Burbank’s, there were plans to turn the site into a park, but funds could never be raised for the project. Rights to the property were secured in 1930. Construction of Pioneer Hall began in October 1930, followed by Geary Hall, Tauzer Gym, and Garcia Hall in the mid-1930s.
SRJC’s first President Floyd Bailey was appointed by the Board in 1934. SRJC’s famous brick and iron Legion Gate, constructed by the Theodore Roosevelt chapter of the American Legion and SRJC’s Block “S” Society, originally served as the entrance to the football field.
Santa Rosa Junior College is officially accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges