|Apply & Register|||||Schedules & Catalog|||||Instruction|||||For Students|||||Faculty & Staff|||||Administration|||||About SRJC|
After a decade of growth, the early 1940s was a period of uncertainty for SRJC. Both faculty and students left the campus for the World War II war effort. Enrollment dipped from a peak of 1,012 in the fall of 1940 to only 235 students in the middle of the war years.
Established a few years earlier, all SRJC aviation students passed the government examinations without a single failure. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the College’s Aviation Program was moved to Ely, Nevada. While the war years were difficult for the College, some new programs were initiated, including what would become the SRJC School of Nursing.
In 1943, the College signed an agreement with the Ninth Service Command to establish an Army Special Training Program to house, feed, teach, and provide medical care for 750 young men. When the war ended, veterans flocked to the campus.
New traditions sprung up in the post-war years, including the first Homecoming event, which continued for more than 20 years. The school’s mascot, Rosco, was officially named after a 1949-50 student naming contest.
Exchange Bank President Frank P. Doyle passed away in 1948. In his will, Doyle directed that the bulk of his stock be placed in a Trust used for SRJC scholarships, which started a strong partnership between business and education to benefit generations of local students for decades to come. The Doyle Trust became one of the largest scholarship programs in the nation.
Santa Rosa Junior College is officially accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges