|Apply & Register|||||Schedules & Catalog|||||Instruction|||||For Students|||||Faculty & Staff|||||Administration|||||About SRJC|
With the birth of rock ‘n roll, SRJC entered an era of stability during the 1950s. To serve the region’s growing population, SRJC established an Adult Education Program in 1952, with classes offered in the evenings at locations throughout the county. About 1,000 students were attracted to the 28 courses offered that spring. Later renamed Evening College, more than 6,000 students were enrolled in 286 classes in just over a decade.
An acute classroom shortage prompted another building boom during the 50s. In January 1954, with $50,000 from the Associated Students and the rest from the District, the College completed the Doyle Student Center, named in honor of Frank P. Doyle. Doyle was President of Exchange Bank until his death. When the first Doyle scholarships were distributed in 1950 and 1951, students were awarded $205 each for a total of $19,475. By January 1955, the Shuhaw Engineering Building was completed and Barnett Hall, the new business building, was put out to bid in 1957.
In 1952, the College began a refresher course for employed practical nurses. This laid the foundation for the two-year Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) program in 1955. And in 1959, the Dental Assisting Program was begun. In 1955 SRJC was given the seal of approval by a statewide accreditation team, which visited the College. The College’s athletic program excelled in the 1950s.
But the decade marked the end of an era for the College. In 1957, Floyd P. Bailey, the College’s first President, retired. Assistant to the President Randolph Newman succeeded Bailey after returning from earning a doctorate at UC Berkeley.
Santa Rosa Junior College is officially accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges