|Apply & Register|||||Schedules & Catalog|||||Instruction|||||For Students|||||Faculty & Staff|||||Administration|||||About SRJC|
SANTA ROSA CAMPUS BUILDINGS
Pioneer Hall · 1931
Tauzer Gymnasium · 1935
The original and official name was "Commerce Building," but it received the "Garcia" designation in 1953 when buildings were named for deceased members of the Board of Trustees. The Department of Commerce and Business Educatin was established in 1936, and was projected for immediate growth — thus Garcia Hall was built as its primary facility. Co-occupants were Home Economics and Music. A major remodeling in 1967 converted Garcia Hall into space e xclusively for Home Economics (except for limited space devoted to campus health services.) Home Economics now is the sole occupant.
The SRJC district was comprised of only two high school districts until the 1960's — Analy and Santa Rosa. If the college carried the "Santa Rosa" name, it was appropriate that the then largest campus building should be named for the other participating high school district. "Analy" was a diplomatic consideration.
Analy Hall was constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds following passage of the only bond issue in the college's history. Matching local monies were provided as stipulated. Burbank Auditorium and Bussman Hall were included in the same "package." Analy Hall offered occupancy for administrative offices, the library and second-story classrooms.
Between 1964-1978, as the physical campus expanded, the occupants of Analy Hall were quite fluid, however, stability returned when a major remodeling of the building gathered together the Department of Art from numerous locations into a centralized site.
Burbank Park was acquired by the Board of Trustees in 1930 as the permanent campus site for SRJC. It was a location utilized by Luther Burbank for botanical experimentation. The "Plant Wizard" came to Santa Rosa in 1875. He developed more than 800 plants, fruits and flowers, including the Santa Rosa plum, the Idaho potato and the Shasta daisy. Burbank Gardens was owned and operated by SRJC for more than 20 years (1934 - 1955).
The actual auditorium seats 700 people for a variety of performances. Initial occupants of the total building included music, speech, and theatre arts. Two remodeling projects expanded the original structure. In 1965, the staging area for theatre productions was enlarged. In 1980, another expansion and redistribution of space accommodated both communication studies and theatre arts. The Music Department had moved to Forsyth Hall in 1979.
The original and official name was "Industrial Arts Building," but it received the "Bussman" designation in 1953 when buildings were named for deceased members of the Board of Trustees. Bussman Hall was designed as an industrial arts building with a museum. Jesse Peter gave his personal collection of natural history to SRJC in 1932 and Bussman Hall provided a home for the ever expanding number of contributions.
Two remodeling jobs adjusted the original structure. In 1962 the automotive and welding components were enlarged considerably, In 1982, following completion of Lounibos Hall, the occupants of Bussman Hall changed. Electronic technology is the largest inhabitant. Others include Career Center, Computing Services, job placement and work experience. Meanwhile, the museum was subject to an earlier adjustment when the space was divided into the Art Gallery and the Jesse Peter Native American Art Museum in 1973.
The original and official name was Engineering Building but received the Shuhaw designation in 1953 when buildings were named for deceased members of the Board of Trustees. Although primarily built as an engineering-physics facility, the first occupants of Shuhaw Hall represented a conglomerant. Also included were aeronautics, art and mathematics.
There were three major alterations on Shuhaw Hall in 1963, 1970 and 1984. The first accommodated electronic technology which was added to the curriculum in 1962. A second addition served the interests of mathematics and brought to a central location its scattered classes from throughout the campus. The third expansion provided space for mathematics and recognized burgeoning enrollments in that discipline caused by advancing technology and the general need for quantitive literacy.
With his father, Frank P. Doyle established Exchange Bank in Santa Rosa in 1890. He was the Bank's second president, 1916-1948. Mr. Doyle was determined that the Bank be locally owned and operated. Therefore, he placed his controlling shares of Exchange Bank common stock into a purposeful trust. Dividends therefrom are converted into scholarships exclusively for students attending SRJC. The Doyle Scholarships program began in 1949. The first occupants of Doyle Center were the cafeteria, bookstore, journalism, ASB offices and faculty lounge. There have been two expansions--one in 1965 and the second in 1980. The current segments are Bear Cub's Den (snack bar), faculty lounge, cafeteria and recreation area.
The Lawrence A. Bertolini Student Services Center replaced the Doyle Center in 2009.
For more than 30 years, Barnett Hall remained a facility for business education classes, both business office and business administration. Master planning projected, as early as 1965, a third wing for construction. However, a slump in business enrollments during the 1960's and into the 1970's prevented that from happening. Contrariwise, the 1980's witnessed an enormous response, especially to classes in business administration and its allied fields of study.
Floyd P. Bailey instructed physics at SRJC, 1919-1921; served as Dean of the College, 1921-1934; became President of the College in 1934 and occupied that role until 1957.
Bailey Hall is the College's administration building. Upon opening, the following were located within its walls: Office of the President, Office of Business Services, Office of the Evening College, Office of Instruction and the Office of Student Services (the latter including admissions and records, counseling, data processing and job placement). Also, there was a meeting room for the Board of Trustees. To occupy the total complex of offices, some instructors from the less organized departments were assigned to Bailey Hall during the early years. Occupancy has been fluid. The most significant departures have been community services, data processing, the faculty and job placement. The most prominent arrivals are Administrative Services, Financial Aid, and Public Information.
Milo Baker taught botany at SRJC, 1922-1945. He established the North Coast Herbarium at the College, and donated his private collection to that resource in 1933. He was a nationally recognized expert on the violet family of western America. Mr. Baker was well beyond his ninetieth year when he taught Botany 5 (Introductory Field) while continuing to tend the Herbarium during retirement. Four life science laboratories and a centralized preparation room comprise "Wing A," a small classroom and faculty offices constitute "Wing B," two state of the art anatomy labs, a 60 seat lecture hall, the Life Sciences department office, and faculty offices are located in "Wing C."
Bech Hall is a chemistry building with the appropriate laboratory, lecture and preparation spaces. Two large lecture rooms are shared with the campus at large when not in use by the chemists.
Two pools and an office complex comprise the Quinn Swim Center. A deep outdoor pool, though multi-purpose, does specifically provide for diving, water polo and water safety instruction. The indoor pool with a retractable roof is used for swim competition and serves as a general facility for instruction in aquatics. The majority of the physical education staff occupies office space in the Quinn complex. Quinn Swim Center is a community resource. Swim club competition is scheduled regularly and it attracts people from throughout Sonoma County for aquatic fitness.
Lark Hall · 1979
Two departments are housed in Lark Hall - Agriculture/Forestry and Earth Science. For each, there is an office complex, laboratories and a central preparation room. Accompanying the facilities for agriculture is a greenhouse. A planetarium accompanies the accommodations for Earth Science. Two large lecture rooms are shared with the campus at large when not in use by the occupying departments.
Forsyth Hall is the music building and is dedicated totally to instruction in that discipline. An office complex, practice rooms, a large studio for instrumental music and a lecture/studio for music appreciation/vocal music occupy the first floor. A piano laboratory, recording studio, practice rooms and general purpose spaces are located on the second floor. This facility is of such a specialized nature that other disciplines are precluded from its use.
Lounibos Hall · 1980
Lounibos Hall is an industrial education facility and it houses laboratory/lecture space for instruction in four distinct areas: Automotive mechanics, diesel technology, machine tooling and welding. Faculty offices are arranged in a configuration at the building entrance. Adjoining the structure is space for storage and parking.
Haehl Pavilion · 1982
Haehl Pavilion offers facilities for a combination of both intercollegiate competitions and physical education classes. Basketball, volleyball and wrestling rivalries are scheduled, as well as standard instructional classes in these sports, plus badminton, body conditioning, combative events and dance. The spectator capacity of Haehl Pavilion is 2,000 (in the absence of using floor space).
Charles Belden was the College's first Dean of Occupational Education, a responsibility he assumed from 1965 to 1981. He joined the faculty in 1957 as an instructor of machine tooling and welding. Mr. Belden was a major force in the acquisition and development of the Robert Shone College Farm. Upon his decease, a cooperative fund-raising project by the College and community, secured substantial monies that were matched by a district contribution. The Charles D. Belden Center was built on site at the Shone Farm. The Belden Center building includes general instructional space, living quarters for two student farm attendants, offices and a wine press. A variety of campus disciplines hold classes on farm acreage, and each is eligible to utilize the Belden Center.
The Departments of Business Administration, Business Office Technology and Computer-Information Sciences occupy Maggini Hall. Each department has its own series of general classrooms, laboratories, skill centers, faculty offices and meeting rooms.
This building is a multi-functional health science and student health service facility. It was dedicated on January 7, 2000 in honor of one of the college's foremost trustees, William B. Race. It has 38,500 gross square feet and 28,500 assignable square feet. It is primarily a laboratory facility with state of the art dental, radiation technology, nursing skills facilities and equipment. There are four lecture rooms, one of which has a rather large impressive vertical folding wall which splits one 100 seat room into two smaller rooms with capacities of 75 and 25 student stations each. Faculty and administrative offices for the Health Sciences will be located primarily on the third floor whereas the Student Health Services operation will be located on the west side of the first floor.
Second Floor Veranda
Completed in 2006, the Frank P. Doyle Library is the second largest facility on the Santa Rosa Campus at 145,000 square feet. Housing nearly 130,000 printed books and other instructional material, Doyle includes1,045 student seats in individual carrels and 27 group study rooms, three teaching classrooms, wireless technology throughout, 280 computer workstations, and a laptop checkout program Doyle is highly energy efficient and environmentally friendly, incorporating a white noise generator that block ambient sounds, media viewing rooms, 21 carrels for faculty to view instructional films and videos; digital color television studio; two large technology-enriched classrooms for video conferencing and distance learning; Center for New Media; and faculty support centers for curriculum development and technology integration; Tutorial Center with seating for 175 students; a 3,584 sq. ft. SRJC Art Gallery, and a coffee bar.
The largest structure on the Santa Rosa Campus is the multilevel parking lot along the Mendocino Avenue. The construction of the four-story Don Zumwalt Parking Pavilion was completed in 2006 adjacent to the Bailey Field, offering convenient parking with over a thousand parking slots for students and a beautiful clock bell tower that can be heard across the campus throughout the day.
Renovations to Plover Hall were completed in 2008. The 32,000 square feet facility offers one-stop student services, including registration and financial aid, assessment, scholarship, new student programs, and a cashiering function. This conversion project works extremely well for students and in partnership with the Bertolini Center across Elliott Avenue to provide comprehensive services to students. Combining Plover and Betolini facilities, Santa Rosa Campus Student Services and Student Activities space exceeds 110,000 square feet.
Construction of 78,000 square foot, three-story Lawrence A. Bertolini Student Services Center was completed at the end of 2009. Situated at the northeast corner of the Santa Rosa Campus, the world class center provides multiple student services and a beautiful cafeteria. All services in Bertolini are student centered to support their many needs while attending SRJC. Bertolini provides these services in concert with Plover Hall, both on Elliott Avenue. The steel framing of the three-story center includes a geothermal system and many other sustainable features throughout.
Santa Rosa Junior College is officially accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges